Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Two weeks


Two weeks. Two weeks have passed since our new lives have begun. Yesterday was Blaine’s 10th  birthday. I’m thankful he had 10 years free from constant monitoring and insulin calculations and corrections. I still have moments where it hits me. My son has diabetes. He will deal with this the rest of his life. We were admitted into the hospital two weeks to the day, probably on the hour of his birth and received the Type 1 diagnosis. We stayed for three days before being sent home with a 100 page manual of important information to help us cope and care for him, and about 700$ worth of medications to last us through the first month.  Since the day of discharge, and leading up to his 10th birthday, he has had no less than 88 finger pricks for blood glucose monitoring and 60 insulin shots.
He is still handling it amazingly. I’m doing better. I find it is crucial to only stay in the current moment and current day. I cannot think too far ahead.  When I see that he is happy, I feel happy. Maybe that’s the best I should hope for, for now. I
 have ventured out to the web to look up a few blogs, either written by adults with Type 1 or by mothers of Type 1. It is overwhelming. Posts on diabetes and illness, pumps versus insulin shots, diabetes and depression, treatment of highs and lows, DKA, additional complications from having diabetes.
I force myself to stay in the current moment, that’s the best we can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment