Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Dear Diabetes


Dear Diabetes,
You gave him 10 years of a normal childhood. We had 10 years of freedom that we never understood and took for granted each and every day. We had 10 years of eating without calculating, 10 years of hopping in a car without making sure we had BG testing strips, a BG monitor, alcohol swabs, insulin, juice boxes, glucose tablets and emergency Glucagon pen in case of diabetic coma. We had 10 years of sleeping through the night without worries of what you will do to his body as he ages.

You will not define him.  We will handle you and overcome you. You will not steal his childhood.  We have been told there is no cure. For now that is true. I’ve seen the posters with the baby blue ribbon and the single drop of blood, symbolizing Type 1 Diabetes. The poster that reads: Waiting on a cure. Someone I love has Type 1 Diabetes.  We won’t wait for a cure. We will live every day. We will continue to live and not wait. You will not stop us from the same hopes and dreams we had before.

I expect great things from my child. I knew he was special the moment he was born and I held him for the first time. I still expect great things from him. I am his mother, I am supposed to protect him, but I was powerless to stop you, and that breaks my heart.
You will not make us weak. You will make us stronger as a family. His body will not be weak from you, but will be strong because of you. We will overcome you.

No comments:

Post a Comment