Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Diabetes Boot Camp

We learned so much my head was spinning. These classes were like any other lecture I'd sat in before throughout numerous undergraduate and graduate school courses...except for, they weren't. A classroom, a table, other people, notebooks, and a lecturer. But, this time I couldn't scan the peer reviewed article 15 minutes before class to make it appear that I'd done the required reading. This time it couldn't depend on looking up the information later if I zoned out for a minute. This time, these classes, were the most important I'd taken. I had to learn about Blaine's condition, so that when we left the walls of the hospital we'd know how to care for our child. Blaine with his brilliant little mind was alert and taking everything in throughout the class. I tried to stay focused, and Brent sat next to me taking notes.





What did we learn? How to prep a syringe. How to give a shot. The role of the pancreas, what beta cells are, what insulin does. What carbs do. Math calculations for food ratios and correction ratios when blood sugar levels are too high. What to do in case of emergency. How sick days look different for kids with diabetes. What ketones are and how to check for them. How exercise impacts blood sugars, and more.

It will take me months to truly grasp all the information, but I know I will get there. We all will, because it's not an option. We have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment