Monday, July 1, 2013

Walkie Talkies

Who knew that walkie talkies may just be a solution for allowing both Blaine and I to sleep a little better at night?

The kids had bought some at Target the other day. I complained to them that we already had some, they were just lost somewhere in the basement. But, it was their own money and they wanted another set. Now, I’m so glad we have them.

This Friday the kids and I went bowling with some friends, plus our cousin Hugh, who was in town for the week. As we were finishing our last few frames Brent called. He had already gone to the gym at his office and was on his way home. He asked about the evening plans.

I suggested we take the boat out for dinner, so that’s just what we did. We had our neighbor Ben for the evening as well as Hugh, his sister, Emily, and Aislin. I ordered pizzas and Brent grabbed some cookies for dessert, bottled water and ice. I have the carb count for Pizza Hut memorized, and we counted carbs on the cookies. Yes, I hated it again, like I do every time, that unlike the other boys Blaine couldn’t just grab a handful of cookies. He had to know how many he was going to eat. I let him set the pace, how many he was going to eat, was how many I gave the other kids. Besides, nobody needs to sit there and eat double and triple the serving size (like I often do).

We tubed and swam. We watched the sun go down. We felt grateful. It was a perfect night.  On the way back, after the swimming and tubing, the kids were hungry again and wanted some more cookies. It was dark, we didn’t check Blaine’s BG, but I also didn’t want to tell him no to cookies. I’m not going to let diabetes steal his childhood. Having cookies with friends after a day of boating seems like part of his childhood, I didn’t want to deny him that. So, he had two cookies, 25 carbs, not quite a unit of insulin for him. We didn’t correct.

Once home we checked his BG, we knew the numbers would be off since he had recently eaten, but wanted to make sure he was above 100 before bed. At 10 pm he was 200. We didn’t correct, just gave his nightly Lantus.

They boys wanted to sleep in the basement.  That makes it much harder for me get up and check on him in the middle of the night like I sometime do, but again, I’m not going to let diabetes steal his childhood. Having a sleep over in the basement with his cousin and best friend is part of his childhood.  I gave him his walkie talkie and kept one with me. At 12:15 am I radioed down. The boys were still awake. I told them lights out immediately and that I’d be down in 5 minutes to check. Of course, I fell asleep and didn’t check. I woke from a nightmare which I can no longer recall. I went down to check on Blaine. I saw that he was still breathing, and all boys were sleeping probably around 2 am.

I got back in my bed. I was just drifting back to sleep. My walkie talkie beeps. “Mom, I feel low.” That singular phrase can send a rush of adrenaline through me at any time. I immediately sprang from bed, geo Blaine’s kit from downstairs, and then rushed to the basement with it. We checked. He was 81. Not low, but maybe he felt himself dropping, which he sometimes says makes him feel low. He had a juice and went back to sleep.

Every night since, we have both slept with a walkie talkie on our night stand. It has eased both of our anxiety.  On his way to bed last night, Blaine asked if Brent or I would bring his diabetes bag up. He said he sleeps better knowing it is nearby.

At the T1 brunch last week I asked the other moms about lows throughout the night and how they handle them. One mom told me she brought her four year old back into the bed with them, and they now co-sleep. The other mothers told me they don’t sleep. Out of the four moms with school aged kids there, I was the only one sending mine off to school. The other three moms had decided to homeschool.

I can’t do that. I know Blaine would love to be homeschooled. But, it’s not for me. I need my career and I need him to be independent of me, or at least not with me all the time. I didn’t ask about their schooling philosophies and didn’t ask if they had homeschooled prior to diagnoses. Although one mother offered that they had schooled at home prior. All these things are reminders that this is a life changer.

Our old life died on 3/3/13 and the new one started on 3/4/13. My old dreams for him didn’t die. I want him to leave me one day and go off to school. I want him to experience living somewhere new and finding his own way. I want him to be independent of me. We will just have to make conscious choices every day to make that happen. Little things for now, like walkie talkies on the night stand seem to be a step in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment