Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Blasted Numbers Again!

I had a pity party for myself yesterday. I don’t know if my house is too quiet after having family in town, or if I’m missing the structure of work, or if I’m sleep deprived, or stressed about an upcoming kitchen remodel, but the numbers really got to me yesterday.

I’ll not give you the whole day, just the range we experienced.

It started with a high of 355 corrected to a scary low of 40.

The average range is 70-150 for Blaine. That means he was nearly twice as high as he should have been and nearly twice as low. That low took forever for him to come up from too. Two juice boxes and 4 glucose tablets later he had only come up to 57.
I wanted to scream, or cry, or just go back to sleep and wake up to our old normal. I should be way past wishing for the old normal.

Other kids his age are off at all kinds of camps this summer. Guess how many Blaine has done? Zero. None. Not one single camp.
How am I supposed to send him off to even a half day camp with numbers like that?

Next week he will do a three day mini- basketball camp. I plan to sit in the lobby. In contrast, his younger sister is doing three weeks of camps in a row. What am I doing while she’s away? Definitely not worrying. I’m taking advantage of that time to run errands, or run the neighborhood…with Blaine, because for now he needs to be with me.
Please let me look back on this one day as the "Remember your 1st summer with diabetes? Look at you now!" Please let that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment