Tuesday, July 2, 2013

How do you not let the numbers dictate your mood?


This is what I need to find some better answers to. And our walkie talkies died so I was awoken at 1-something-am with Blaine yelling “Mom! Mom! I don’t feel good!” His numbers were fine. I think it’s just us being horribly off-schedule this summer. He was still up, but reading a book at 1:00 am. I told him that he was just over-tired and to go to sleep. Once he saw that he was 170 he fell asleep. I know he’s holding on to some anxiety about dropping low while he sleeps.

I thought we were doing pretty well this morning. I woke him up by 9:30 am in attempts to find some kind of schedule. His numbers were good. We did his insulin immediately with breakfast. Then we went to run some errands before picking up Aislin from a sleep-over and then meeting my friends for lunch.

As soon as we got into the car Blaine said he was thirsty. Polydipsia. The word comes to mind every time. I was feeling confident with the amount of insulin that we did and it was too close to the dosing and breakfast to get an accurate BG check, in my opinion. We picked up Aislin and they immediately began bickering. We have quickly learned that Blaine has various levels of high.

When he is slightly high, he talks nonstop, he says silly words and can be sometimes funny, sometimes annoying. When he is too high he has zero tolerance for his sister and becomes very moody, very quickly. Coping skills vanish and he is irritable. We decided to check before going in to meet Jackie and Robyn for lunch. He was 299. What!?

Aislin asked Baline what happens when he is too high. He told her that he gets headaches and doesn’t feel good. She again asked the same question, getting frustrated from her lack of sleep from the sleep over. Blaine tried to clarify the question. She yelled her question louder, with no clarification, just amplified volume. I tried to clarify. She got angry and yelled that she didn’t care. Blaine, equally angry, and high at this point finally yelled back to her, “If I’m too high I will die. Okay? There, I will die if I stay too high. Does that answer your question?”

Truly not a conversation I ever anticipated my children having.

Throughout this exchange I felt my blood pressure rise. Was it anger, frustration, confusion, defeat? Probably all of those things. What happened? I still don’t know. Did we miscalculate breakfast? Did he not do the insulin correctly? He does the majority of his injections, although I supervise and usually prep the kwik pen. Did it all not go in? It’s just frustrating. On top of that we were trying out a new pizza place. While waiting in line, he did a correcting dose and we guessed at the needed insulin for his food.  Who cares if the people around us don’t want to see my son inject a needle into his stomach? I don’t want him to have to inject a needle into his stomach, or arm, or leg. For the first month we were discreet, but when Brent suggested that Blaine go into a restroom to do his insulin while at a restaurant I drew the line.

Forget the discomfort of others, not that I’m insensitive. I just care about my son, his comfort and his needs more than the comfort of those around me. Even if they have needle phobias. I don’t mind when women breast feed in public, even if it is a walking, talking toddler that they are feeding. Others can get over my son doing injections in public. I will not have him going into a nasty restroom to give himself the insulin that his pancreas is failing to do.

We checked two hours later and he was in range. Good thing. But then, just before dinner, with no snacks or food in between the last BG check he was slightly high again.  His last A1C was 7.0. I’m already stressed that his next one will be higher, probably at least 8. I know the numbers shouldn’t control my feelings. But they do. These numbers are now one more thing that can make me feel like a failure as a mother.

If I let them.

No comments:

Post a Comment